To enter Canada, tourists must be in possession of a valid passport, a visa or an electronic travel authorization, and a return ticket. All foreign nationals, including children and babies, entering the Canadian soil for tourism or for a business purpose must have an individual passport whose validity period exceeds at least one day from the end of stay. And of course, they also need a visa or a Canada ETA.

Canada Tourist Visa

If the planned stay is less than six months, a visa is not required for citizens of the United Kingdom, the European Union and some other territories. Once on spot, in the event of an extension of the stay, it is necessary to contact your country’s embassy in Canada. A visa is also mandatory if you are not a national of the visa-exempt countries, or if you tend to spend a stay of more than 6 moths in Canada. It is important to note that most European countries are eligible for the ETA (the UK, France, Italy, Germany, Portugal, Spain, Poland, etc.). So, if you come from one of those states, do not bother requesting a traditional visa, opt for an online ETA application which is simpler.

Canada ETA or Electronic Travel Authorization

To enter Canadian soil, all travelers from the eligible countries must be in possession of an electronic travel authorization (ETA). This travel document is mandatory even for passengers in transit through a Canadian airport. Each family member must submit a personal ETA application and to do so, click here. It is not possible to request more than one ETA at a time.

The ETA is the Canadian equivalent of the USA ESTA. Please note that citizens of the European Union are required to travel to Canada on a transatlantic flight with a stopover in the USA, they must also comply with the obligations required to travel to the United States. In other words, they must have obtained an electronic travel authorization from the American authorities (ESTA form).

To enter Canadian soil, children under the age of 18 are subject to the same rules as adults. They must be in possession of their own passport, a Canada ETA, a copy of their original birth certificate, and a letter written in English or French, signed by both parents or by the legal guardian(s). This letter should specify the addresses and telephone numbers of the parents or the legal guardians, and accurate contact information of the child when in Canada.